Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why I prefer local fruits

I'm not the kind of patriotic person who follow slogans like "Belilah barangan buatan Malaysia" (Buy Malaysian made products) blindly.
But when it comes to fruits, I'd prefer local over imported. I don't care whether eating local fruits like papaya, banana, watermelon, guava or mango look cheap. I'm sure their nutritional content would beat imported fruits because they don't have to be picked prematurely and take weeks to be shipped here. I have a fruit orchard right in front of my house. You can't get any fresher than that! The good thing about traveling is that you get to eat our so called imported fruits locally which is cheaper (don't factor in the cost of flying there)!
After reading Michael Pollan's book, I'm even more certain that eating local fruits is the right thing to do. We're supporting our local farmers. We're reducing pollution caused by shipping the fruits here. I guess the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" should be modified for our local context.

1 comment:

Theeggyolks said...

i love durians.. -_-"