Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mandatory composting & recycling

When I read a blog post on Crunchy Chicken about mandatory composting, I was impressed! More cities should follow San Francisco's Mandatory Recycling & Composting Ordinance. I'm sure no amount of awareness programs can make everyone recycle and compost, so this would do the trick.
I'll be visiting San Francisco soon to see the green movement for myself. Of course, I'll be taking a long haul flight. I just hope all my efforts to green my life will cover for the trip. I simply can't afford to pay for carbon credits.
Since most of use don't have the luxury of curbside compostable waste collection, we'll just have to do it ourselves. Even if you don't have a garden, it's still good to keep the waste out of landfills (as well as save energy to transport it there).
It's actually quite easy. The most basic method is to just dig a whole and throw the waste in. Of course there is a list of things that you should not throw into your compost pile. Here are some tips to get you going.
Hope you get some really good compost!


No comments: