Saturday, December 12, 2009

Green Journeys

Greetings from Malaysia, not one of the greenest countries in the world, but we're getting there. When I read this post from The Green Phone Booth, I felt that I needed to share my green journey too.

I've been a greenie right from my childhood years. My cousins & I would set up a green club where we find out simple ways to save the environment and bug our parents to do the same. Whenever my mom pulled out the bug spray can, lil' me would be nagging her about the CFC's she's puting in the air.

Being from a little town that didn't have a recycling program, all we could do was compost when it came to waste management. Now that I've moved to a place of my own, things have changed. I've put a bin in the kitchen to collect compost and several other bins to collect recyclables. Even my housemates picked up the habit since I've made it easy for them to do so. The recyclables are collected by the local dialysis association, so we're helping the environment as well as people on dialysis.

Another habit I picked up while staying in London for some time was to bring my own bag for grocery shopping. I couldn't bear to use disposable bags after coming back home. One look at the checkout line, nobody else does it, but I hope someday somebody will notice and want to do the same too.

It does get kind of lonely on my green journey when people around me just don't bother. Now that I've found the world of green blogs, I know I'm not alone. I've even started my own and hope to contribute in and outside the circle of like minded people.

9 comments:

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

I can totally empathize about feeling like a lone greenie, but we're a continually growing group. Thanks for participating in the carnival!

Rae said...

What a great story! I love that you were 'born green'! My journey has definitely developed as I've grown up and I hear you on the lonely side of things.

Things ARE improving slowly, and as you say, at least there are many green blogs for us to seek friendship and inspiration from.

Keep up the great work, I admire you doing this when your circumstances are not easy.

Warm wishes
Rae (mrs Green @myzerowaste.com)

Alison said...

You should check out Lisa's blog at the Retro Housewife (www.retrohousewifegoesgreen.com/). She also lives in a town that is not very green, but she's been working to change that! Small steps, writing about it, and living by example are all excellent places to start!

Cherie said...

Yes, it is difficult feeling alone in the green journey. However, you never know how many people you influence through your daily choices. A stranger seeing you with your own bags might rethink the use of plastic bags.

Steph @ Greening Families said...

One of my favorite things about the internet is the fact that it allows people to create their own community separate from geographic boundaries. Our current home town is not very green so I've really appreciated the opportunity to learn from others interested in green living, no matter where they happen to live.

Welcome to the APLS Carnival!

Lisa Sharp said...

I would have been in your club!!! I also understand about not being in a green part of the world. I'm in a part of the US that people brag about being wasteful. It's sad!

Also I'm hosting this months carnival and would love if you could join in. :)

Lisa Sharp said...

Oh and Alison thanks for linking to me. :)

Robbie said...

Hi, I'm catching up after the holidays, and thanks for sharing your story!

We're also looking for hosts for future months. If you're interested, email goinggreenmama at gmail.

ramblings said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments! I haven't checked back here for some time, been busy with exams.
I'll definitely keep it up.